It seems that the smart assistant can do anything these days – including be the pivotal application to enable the service provider IoT solution. As service providers wrestle with how to deploy their smart home solutions, it’s clear that the smart assistant is a key part of enabling the solution.
This paper takes the reader through some of the ideas circulating the industry and reviews:
- What is the correct inclusion of mic and speakers in gateway, access point, extender, set-top, and standalone devices?
- Inclusion of IoT radios in the same devices – what are the pros and cons?
- What is the role of the smart phone, TV, and smart assistants?
- Amazon, Google, and Apple smart assistants: friend, foe, or must-have partner?
- What is the role of AI, advanced speech recognition systems, and NLUs in the service provider arsenal?
- Can there be more than one voice assistant per home?
- Could there be multiple smart assistant solutions in a single service provider device?
This paper also reviews the role of IoTivity and the OCF as the potential basis for any service provider IoT hub and connection solution.